I started to ask myself: “How is it possible that water feed can be shut down for more than 2 days?”
My education obliged me to seek for answers carefully and systematically and after 2 weeks of observation I ended up with the following understanding of the problem: a couple of decades ago, around the late ’80s or early ’90s, Chonburi had a huge infrastructure development aimed to supply towns and villages with water. This infrastructure was comprised of treatment plants and water towers that would transfer the water into the villages.
The problem was in a construction boom that over the next 20-30 years exceeded all the wildest expectations. So the volume of water feed, which was originally planned when the whole infrastructure was in development, started to become obsolete.
The second quite important factor was the number of private houses with swimming pools that require a lot of water for filling, cleaning, filtration, which apparently wasn’t taken into account when water feed infrastructure was built.
As the result, any interruption in the water feed, although it was amortized by the presence of water in the storage tank, would cause problems of prompt replenishment of the water level in the tanks, since when the water feed was back, hundreds of water tanks and pools were simultaneously filled, while the water pressure was remaining extremely low. After a while, the majority of small tanks were filled and they would switch off from the feed system, increasing the water pressure level in the feed system, and so it was time for bigger/taller tanks to be filled. Depending on how long the water was absent in the feed system the process of getting water pressure to the former level could take a day or even two. And if such a thing happened I would end up without water in the house.
Water feed shutdown didn’t only mean I couldn’t take a shower but it also meant I have to solve other hygienic problems.
Because of the transient processes in the pipes, all the oxide deposits that would accumulate in pipes and pipe connections for years were washed in. That’s why a couple of first hours there was dirty water coming from the tap. Just imagine you decided to wash some clothes during this moment by mistake. Or what is more likely: washing machine went to stand-by mode when there was no water, and turned on again using gross and dirty water to wash clean cloths.
Therefore, the first question was how to fill up the tank even with minimal pressure the fastest way possible and to be able to constantly monitor the tank filling in order to avoid interruptions in the water supply to the house as much as possible.